The Scan to SMB (folder) function allows you to send scanned data over the network to a shared folder on your PC. Before attempting to use the Scan to SMB function, you must check and set the printer and software settings.
Setting up the Scan to SMB settings
To use the Scan to SMB function, you will need to do the following:
- Check that TCP/IP and SMB are set to ENABLE on the Utility Map.
- Create a local user on your PC.
- Create a shared folder on your PC.
- Register the shared folder address as a speed dial destination in the your CX16NF settings via the Local Setup Program or via the EpsonNet Config Web version.
Print and check the Utility Map
See the following Related Article for a guide on printing the Utility Map (a link is also available in the Related Articles section at the top-right of this article):
- AcuLaser CX16NF: How do I print the Utility Map?
Check that TCP/IP and SMB are set to ENABLE on the Utility Map. If either are set to DISABLE, enable the setting(s) in the ADMIN MANAGEMENT menu. For guidance on entering and using the admin menu, page 35, ADMIN Management Menu in the User's Guide.
Create a local user on your PC
To add local user in Windows, open Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management.
In the Computer Management window, access the System Tools branch, then the Local Users and Groups branch. Open the Users folder, then click on Action and select New user from the menu. Select a username you will remember and recognise - this user account will be used to transfer data to the PC.
Create a shared folder on your PC
This folder will be used as the destination for scan data to be saved to and will be made available to other users on the network.
First, check that simple file sharing is enabled on your PC.
- Open Windows Explorer or Computer (Windows 7/Vista) or My Computer (Windows XP).
- From the toolbar near the top of the window, click on Organise > Folder and Search Options (Windows 7/Vista) or File > Options (Windows XP).
- A window appears. Click on the View tab. On this tab, look in the Advanced settings section and locate the heading Use simple file sharing (Recommended) and make sure this is ticked. If you had to tick the box to enable it, click Apply. Click OK to close the window.
Next, create a new folder and set it to share.
- In Windows Explorer or Computer (Windows 7/Vista) or My Computer (Windows XP), open the local hard drive (normally C:).
- Right-click on a black area of the screen and select New > Folder. Name the folder so you will remember and recognise it - this folder will need to be accessed by other users on the network. In these examples, we have named it 'share'.
- Right-click on the folder icon and select Share... (Windows 7/Vista) or Sharing and Security... (Windows XP).
- Set this folder to be shared, then click on the Sharing Permissions and make sure that Everyone is set to have all permissions to access this folder.
Register a Speed Dial destination using Local Setup Program
Do the following:
- Open Local Setup Program.
- Click on Printer Status.
- Click on Download.
- Then go to scan to server and tick Scan to Server.
- Click on New Registration.
- Select SMB, then input the name of the PC in the Destination Name field.
- Input the IP address of the PC in the Destination Address field.
- Input the name of the shared folder in the Directory field.
- Select Private Site and input the user name, password and confirm the password.
- Click OK to save the settings.
|Do not select Anonymous. This feature is only available when you select FTP as register.
- Click on the upload button to upload the data to the printer. You will prompted "Do you want to overwrite the data of the device?", click OK.
- Click No to the prompt "Do you want to upload the current setting?". Close the LSP tool.
Register a Speed Dial destination using EpsonNet Config Web version
- Open Internet Explorer. Input the IP address of your printer into the address bar and press Enter on your keyboard or select go.
You can confirm the IP address of your printer from the UTILITY MAP - check your earlier printout or see the following Related Article if you need to print it again and require guidance: AcuLaser CX16NF: How do I print the Utility Map?
- Enter the password to log into Admin Mode. The default password is Admin.
- Click on the Scan tab and select Speed Dial Setting from the menu on the left. Then click on the button with the numbers 221-250 (below Speed Dial List (Scan to Server)).
- Click on the figure in the No. column under the first PC details.
- Select SMB and click on Apply.
- Then input the details as required.
- Input the name of the PC in the Destination Name field.
- IP address of the PC in the Destination Address field.
- Name of the shared folder in the Directory field.
- Select Private Site and input the User Name and Password.
Do not select Anonymous. This feature is only available when you select FTP as register.
- Click on Apply and close EpsonNet Config Web version.
How to Scan to SMB (shared folder)
Do the following:
- Set the document you wish to scan on the scanner bed or in the ADF.
- Push the Scan button on the CX16NF control panel.
- Use the Up or Down buttons to highlight the SCAN TO option and press the Right button to select it. You can select your scan settings here if required.
- Press the Addressbook button twice.
- You are prompted to enter the destination; use the numeric keypad to enter the Speed Dial Number (this is three digits from 221 to 250).
- After entering the number, press the Select button.
- The Speed Dial destination name is displayed, press the Select key to confirm.
- Press the Start button to begin scanning; if you press the B&W button, data will be scanned in monochrome and if you press the Color button, data will be scanned in colour.
- *SCANNING* is displayed on the LCD panel whilst the document is being scanned. When it has finished, you see the prompt NEXT PAGE?. To finish the scan and send the data to the shared folder, press the Start button. If you want to add another page, press the Select button.